Sandra Bourgette-Henry received her BSN degree in nursing from the University of Hawaii Manoa and her Doctor of Nursing Practice degree from the University of Hawaii Hilo. She is a board-certified family nurse practitioner. Dr. Bourgette-Henry has worked at the Queens Medical Center in Honolulu for 29 years, specializing in Cardiology. She is an Associate Professor at the Chaminade University, teaching in undergraduate and graduate programs. Her expertise includes Evidence-based Practice, Executive Leadership, Quality in Health Care, Cardiology, Health Assessment and Promotion, and Population Health. She also coordinates the Parish Health Program, where she educates nursing students about the social determinants of health to provide culturally competent care and improve the community’s health.
Her research interest is improving cardiovascular health, especially in communities with health care disparities. She published a journal article in the Hawaii Journal of Health and Social Welfare titled The Wahine Heart Wellness Program: A Community Approach to Reducing Women’s Cardiovascular Disease Risk. Her goal is to inspire the next generation of nurses to be the best they can be and introduce them to all the opportunities a career in nursing can offer.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), University of Hawaii Hilo
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), University of Hawaii Manoa
- NUR207 Health Promotion & Assessment (BSN)
- NUR303 Complex Disease III SIM Lab (BSN)
- NUR401 Public Health Nursing (BSN)
- NUR499 Clinical Immersion (BSN)
- NUR818 Interprofessional Collaboration for Improving Pop. Health (DNP)
- NUR852 Scholarly Project I: Design & Ethical Consideration of Practice (DNP)
Awards and Honors
- Golden Apple in Teaching Award- Hawaii Pacific University 2020
- Graduated with Honors- University of Hawaii Hilo 2016
- Together We Care/Minute Clinic/Johnson and Johnson DNP Scholarship 2015
- Sigma Theta Tau, International Nursing Honor Society 1994-present
- Golden Key National Honor Society, University of Hawaii Chapter, 1994
- Dean’s List, School of Nursing, UHM, Fall 1992 – Fall 1994
- Bourgette-Henry, S., Davis, A., Flood, J., Bourgette, A. (2019). The wahine heart wellness program: a community approach to reducing women’s cardiovascular disease risk. Hawaii Journal of Health and Social Welfare. 78(11). 341-348.
- Bourgette-Henry, S., Davis, A., Flood, J. (2016) Improving women’s awareness of cardiovascular disease through primary prevention. [Doctoral dissertation, University of Hawaii Hilo]. ProQuest Dissertations Publishing.
Service to the Profession
- Sigma Theta Tau International: Vice-President 2019 to present
- CUH Parish Health Community Outreach Coordinator: 2022-Present
- Hui Pohala Workforce Development: 2022-Present
- Hawaii State Center of Nursing EBP Faculty Champion: 2018-Present
- Sigma Theta Tau International: Counselor 2017-2019
- Evidence-based Practice and Research Committee 2022-Present
- DNP Committee 2022-Present
- ELNEC Undergraduate BSN Curriculum Coordinator 2022-2023