CTL Mission Statement
The Center for Teaching & Learning advances thoughtful and engaging pedagogy, assessment, educational technology, and instructional design to promote faculty development throughout all stages of their careers and to enhance student success.
Scholarship for Teaching and Learning
Scholarship for Teaching and Learning Publications
- Faculty excel when they are supported in their teaching, technology needs, scholarship, service, and careers.
- Faculty need a space to reflect on their own practice and engage in discussions about teaching and learning in community with their colleagues.
- Faculty development is vital to maintaining a thoughtful and engaging curriculum.
- Faculty engagement with inclusive and innovative pedagogy that educates the whole person allows students to become reflective and critical thinkers.
- Faculty support student success when utilizing engaging and effective educational technology.
- Faculty guided by the University’s Marianist, Hawaiian, and liberal arts educational traditions are well positioned to meet the needs of students from the diverse cultures and communities of the Pacific region and beyond.
The CTL Vault
Resources regarding faculty development, assessment, course design and educational technology can be found on the CTL Vault, your one-stop shop for Chaminade teaching and learning resources. If you don’t have access to the site, please email us at [email protected] and we will be sure to add you.
Meet Our Staff
Jim Heller Sutton, M.Ed.
Director, Center for Teaching & Learning
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (808) 739-7479
Jim is the Director of Chaminade’s Center for Teaching and Learning. Jim has worked in faculty professional development since 2008 and has a varied background in education with experience in curriculum design and development, instruction, educational technology, and assessment. Jim earned his Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction from the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College at Arizona State University and sees the CTL as a space for faculty to collaborate and share ideas that enhance teaching and promote student learning and growth. Outside of Chaminade, Jim’s occupied with two young sons that keep him on his toes!
Scott is the Instructional Designer with the Center for Teaching and Learning at Chaminade University of Honolulu. Scott works closely with faculty to design courses built around collaboration and engaging learning experiences, both in face-to-face and online environments. He also teaches education courses as an adjunct instructor in the School of Education and Behavioral Sciences. Scott earned his Ph.D. in Social Studies Education from Teachers College, Columbia University. He currently works remotely from Austin, TX, and shares an office with two pugs who make frequent appearances in his Zoom meetings.
Tiffany has taught in higher education since 2010 and has experience in curriculum development and design across different types of instructional methods. Tiffany earned her master’s degree in Educational Technology from the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa and is currently working on obtaining her Ph.D. in Learning Design and Technology at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. As the Educational Technologist at Chaminade’s Center for Teaching and Learning, she supports faculty with the exploration, development, and implementation of innovative educational technologies to enhance their teaching and students’ learning. Tennis and traveling keep Tiffany busy when she is not at Chaminade.