Four years. That’s how long it should take you to get your bachelor’s degree at Chaminade—we guarantee it.
Why is that such a big deal?
Across the country, less than half of students graduate on time.
But graduating in four years has big benefits: It saves time and money, and sets you on a path to your career sooner. Our graduation guarantee is simple: It’s designed to help you plan out your academic journey and give you peace of mind that you’ll be able to get the course offerings and advising supports you’ll need to get there.
Our pledge to you
We’re here to make sure you graduate in four years. And if we don’t hold up our end of the bargain, any remaining coursework required to complete your degree won’t cost you. That’s right, those courses will be free.
The guarantee applies to all full-time, daytime undergraduates who enter during the fall semester and sign a formal agreement with the Office Advising and Career Development.
(For certain majors, students entering in the spring may be required to complete an additional semester).
To make sure you graduate on time, we publish four-year plans for every major in the day undergraduate program, and provide robust academic advising opportunities so students can ensure they’re taking the right steps along the way. We also let you know when it’s time to register for classes each semester.
How it works
Once you commit to graduating in four years, we’ll be there to help you make it happen.
By the beginning of your second year, you should make sure you officially declare your major with the Office of Advising and Career Development and then stick to your major’s four-year plan when you register for classes. You also need to remain in good standing (minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA), pass a pre-major or prerequisite courses for your major with a C or better, and complete the coursework outlined in your major’s yearly plan.
Before registration each semester, you should meet with your academic advisor to review your progress.
And at the beginning of your fourth year, complete your clearance for graduation with your faculty advisor.
If you hold up your end of the agreement but a course required for you to graduate isn’t offered in your fourth year, we’ll let you finish that required course through independent study—or we’ll find a substitute. And if a suitable course can’t be found, we’ll cover the costs of any remaining coursework you need after four years.
A few things to consider
Every major has different requirements—and it’s important for you to be familiar with them.
For example, some programs require more than 120 credits to complete a degree, including Biochemistry, Biology, Elementary Education, Forensic Sciences, Environmental + Interior Design and Nursing. In order to graduate in four years, students in these majors might need to take summer courses.
Finally, if you change majors, meet with your adviser to map out your academic plan and determine if graduating in four years is still possible. (It will all depend on which major you’re switching to and when.)
Students who enter this agreement are responsible for the following:
- Make an official declaration of major with the Academic Advising Office by the beginning of your second year and adhere to the four-year plan for your major when registering for classes.
- Make satisfactory academic progress.
- Remain in good academic standing (minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA; and as specified by the major–some disciplines require a higher GPA within the major).
- Pass pre-major and pre-requisite courses with a grade of C or better on the first attempt.
- Complete at least 30 semester hours of coursework (or as recommended by your degree plan) each year for four years and meet all degree checkpoints. The majors noted below under “Special Considerations” may require summer coursework in order to finish in four years.
- Meet with your assigned advisor prior to registration each term to review your course plan and progress. Monitor your own progress toward degree completion using the program evaluation tool available through the Chaminade University portal. Pay special attention to required classes in your pre-major or major that may be offered only once per year.
- Clear any holds on your account before the registration period begins each semester and register for classes within the first week of eligibility during the registration period.
- Enroll in available courses needed for your program of study; accept any available section that can be accommodated in your course schedule.
- Complete your clearance for graduation with your faculty advisor at the beginning of your fourth year.
- Notify your faculty advisor if you are unable to register for a required course in your major or for graduation.
Students enrolled in programs that require more than 120 credits for degree completion may need to take summer courses in order to graduate within four years. These programs include: Biochemistry, Biology, Elementary Education, Forensic Sciences, Environmental + Interior Design, and Nursing. If you change majors, meet with an advisor to determine if graduation within four years is still possible. Timely completion of your degree will depend on what major you are changing to and when you make the change.
To facilitate successful completion of the four-year graduation guarantee, Chaminade University will agree to the following:
- Publish four-year plans for every major offered in the day undergraduate program. These plans assist the student in timely completion of the degree.
- Ensure that the student’s advisor and contact information is attached to the student’s record in the university portal. When students declare or change their major, the advisor will change accordingly.
- Notify students of impending registration dates so that students may register in a timely manner.
- If a major or graduation requirement is not offered in the final year of study, Chaminade will enable the student to graduate in four years by completing the course via independent study or by substituting a discipline and division offering the student’s major. In the event a suitable course is not available, Chaminade will cover the cost of remaining required coursework for completion of the degree.