Every year, Hawaii’s theatre community comes together to celebrate the best in local stagecraft. The Po’okela Awards are considered Hawaii’s answer to the Tony Awards.
And this August, Chaminade University students, alumni and productions got plenty of recognition.
Among the awards netted by Chaminade students: Excellence in service, presented to Chaminade senior Katelyn Shedden, and excellence in ensemble performance in a musical, which the cast of Chaminade’s production of “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” took home along with musicals performed at Manoa Valley and Diamond Head theaters.
Meanwhile, Chaminade Technical Director for the Performing Arts Claire Paul, who’s a Chaminade MBA student, won an excellence in scenic design award for her work in Leeward Theatre’s “In the Heights.” And Chaminade’s Brother Gary Morris, a performing arts associate professor at Chaminade, was honored for excellence in performance for a non-traditional production for his featured male role in The Actor’s Group’s “Mining for Coal.”
Chaminade graduate Christopher Patrinos, who teaches in the University’s performing arts program, was recognized for directing the Leeward Theatre’s production of “In The Heights.”
Chaminade was also honored to see participants in the University’s 2018 Summer Theatre Festival spotlighted at the Po’okela Awards, including the cast of “Dead Accounts,” which won for excellence in an ensemble performance. The summer festival, a tradition at Chaminade, features student actors, designers and technicians from universities around the country.
The Po’okela Awards were launched in 1984. A panel of judges selects honorees in 23 categories, including for producing and directing, individual and cast performances, and design.
Here are all of this year’s awards to Chaminade students or faculty:
- Excellence in Service: Chaminade senior Katelyn Shedden
- Excellence in Ensemble Performance in a Musical: The cast of the Chaminade’s production of “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.” Those honored were: Aulani Oka, Elijah Abramo, Angelo Oasay, Kainoa Enos, Jr., and Sofia Vela
- Excellence in Scenic Design: Chaminade Performing Arts Technical Director Claire Paul
- Excellence in Performance in a Non-traditional Production: Brother Gary Morris
- Excellence in Direction in Musical Theatre: Christopher Patrinos