Master of Pastoral Theology (MPT)
Theological reflection as preparation for active ministry.
That approach underscores our Master of Pastoral Theology degree—a program of study designed to stress personal growth, community connections and service-learning opportunities. Student coursework centers on moral theology with an emphasis on the Roman Catholic tradition, and graduates can go on to serve as ministers, chaplains or educators.
Let Us Tell You More
Begins September 10, 2021
Apply by August 30, 2021
Upon completion of the Master of Pastoral Theology, students will be able to:
- Identify the constitutive elements of Catholic theology: its historical development, its contemporary expression within a Vatican II framework, and its context within the broader Christian tradition.
- Develop methods of critical theological reflection in response to issues, needs, and concerns of various pastoral contexts within and for communities of Hawaii and the Pacific Rim.
- Compare and contrast theological positions and values within the Christian community.
- Engage the Marianist tradition of education for service, peace, justice, and the integrity of creation in ways that respond and lead to active participation within changing local and global environments.
- RE 600 Prophets and Writings
- RE 606 Pentateuch and Historical Books
- RE 607 Synoptic Gospels and Acts
- RE 608 Pauline Corpus and Catholic Epistles
- RE 609 Johannine Writings and Revelation
- RE 610 Introduction to Hebrew Scriptures
- RE 615 Introduction to Christian Scriptures
- RE 616 History and Theology of Vatican II/Catholic Catechism
- RE 629 Catholic Social Teaching
- RE 631 Trinity
- RE 637 Christology and Trinity
- RE 642 Ecclesiology Its Nature and Mission
- RE 643 Sacramental Theology and Practice
- RE 647 Theology of Liturgy
- RE 664 Moral Theology: Fundamental and Applied or RE 629 Catholic Social Teaching
- RE 790 Pastoral Theology Seminar
Total Credit Hours
As few as 12 Months
Time to Completion
*2020-2021 cost is based on $1,030 per credit hour (effective July 1, 2020). Does not include fees, books and supplies.
Also, Explore Graduate Certificates
The Pastoral Counseling and Spiritual Direction Certificate emphasizes spiritual leadership and relationship-building across a diversity of communities. Students are challenged to build their skills while seeking opportunities for personal growth.