Kokua Ike: Tutoring and Learning Services provides free, one-on-one tutoring for all undergraduate students at Chaminade University. We have peer and professional tutors available for (but are not limited to): biology, chemistry, math, nursing, English, etc. Stop by our office for more information.
Schedule an Appointment
To receive tutoring services, students must visit Kokua Ike (located in the Student Support Services building) and complete a tutee contract. A staff member will assist you in creating an online account that allows you to book an appointment through the online system.
Kokua Ike is open Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
All appointments must be made two days prior to the desired appointment. Cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance.
Drop-in tutoring and writing help is available, students are still required to complete a tutee contract. Drop-in appointments are done on a first-come, first-served basis.
Become a Tutor
Kokua Ike is always looking for potential tutors. Tutors enjoy many benefits: flexible work schedule, on-campus employment, and professional development opportunities. The starting pay rate is $10.10 per hour for Peer Tutors. Professional Tutors, who have a bachelor’s degree or higher begin at $13.00 per hour.
To qualify as a tutor, applicants must:
- Have at least a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
- Have at least a B, or higher, in the course they wish to tutor
- Have a signed letter of recommendation by an active Chaminade professor who has, or is currently, teaching the course.
- Be comfortable working one-on-one with college-aged students.
If you meet the basic requirements, please submit either the Peer Tutor Application or Professional Tutor Application to the Tutor Coordinator.
In addition to the application, applicants must submit:
- Unofficial (from Canvas) or official transcripts
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter
- Letter of recommendation from a Chaminade professor (applies only to Peer Tutors)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at [email protected] or (808) 739-8305.