You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year in order to receive financial aid.
Chaminade University’s school code: 001605
Prepare to File
Completing the FAFSA will establish your eligibility for financial aid and institutional scholarships. Even if you think you may not qualify, it is a good idea to file. The FAFSA should be filed each year.
Note: FAFSA is free; there is no cost associated with filing. If you are on a website that charges for filing the FAFSA, do not pay. Be sure you are filing only on the FAFSA website.
Information you will need to complete the FAFSA
The FAFSA asks for a record of all income and savings for students and their families. Dependent students must include their parents’ information. When completing your FAFSA, you must have:
- Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID)–You and one parent will each need an FSA ID, which serves as an electronic signature. Your FSA ID will be used each year you file a FAFSA. You may apply at https://studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account/launch
- Chaminade University school code: 001605
- Social Security number and your parents’ numbers (if you are a dependent student)
- Federal income tax information. We recommend all eligible students/parents use the IRS data retrieval tool. Dependent students must provide their parents’ tax information.
- Current bank statements (checking & savings).
- Information pertaining to the value of any owned businesses and investments.
- Information pertaining to the value of non-taxable income that is not reported on the tax return, e.g. social security benefits, etc.
- Steps to take after you have filed
The first day to file a FAFSA is December 31. You should try to complete and submit your FAFSA for the coming school year by March 15.
You may complete a FAFSA after the recommended filing date, but filing by March 15 allows you the best opportunity to receive funds that may be limited.
Reminder: returning students must complete a FAFSA every year.