You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year in order to receive financial aid.
Chaminade University’s school code: 001605
Prepare to File
Completing the FAFSA will establish your eligibility for financial aid and institutional scholarships. Even if you think you may not qualify, it is a good idea to file. The FAFSA should be filed each year between October 1 and March 1.
Note: FAFSA is free; there is no cost associated with filing. If you are on a website that charges for filing the FAFSA, do not pay. Be sure you are filing only on the FAFSA website.
Information you will need to complete the FAFSA
The FAFSA asks for a record of all income and savings for students and their families. Dependent students must include their parents’ information. When completing your FAFSA, you must have:
- Federal Student Aid PIN (if filing online). You and your parent will each need a PIN, an electronic signature. Your PIN will be used each year you file a FAFSA.
- Chaminade University school code: 001605
- Social Security number and your parents’ numbers (if you are a dependent student)
- Current tax information (tax returns, W2). We recommend all eligible students use the IRS data retrieval tool. Dependent students must provide their parents’ tax information. If you have not filed taxes for the current year, you can estimate your tax information and make corrections later.
- Current bank statements (checking & savings).
- Information pertaining to the value of any owned businesses and investments.
- Information pertaining to the value of non-taxable income that is not reported on the tax return, e.g. social security benefits, etc.
- Steps to take after you have filed
The first day to file a FAFSA is October 1. You should try to complete and submit your FAFSA for the coming school year by March 1.
You may complete a FAFSA after the recommended filing date, but filing by March 1 allows you the best opportunity to receive funds that may be limited.
Reminder: returning students must complete a FAFSA every year.