Cap, Gown and Tassel
Online orders are now closed. Please pick up your cap, gown and tassel through the Chaminade Campus Store. Business hours are Monday – Friday from 8:30 AM-4:30 PM. The Campus Store will also be open on Saturday, May 8 from 8:30-10:30 AM.
If you have already ordered your cap, gown and tassel online, but have questions about when it will be shipped to you, please contact Herff Jones Customer Service at 1-800-837-4235.
Missed the deadline: you may purchase regalia through the Chaminade bookstore at the prevailing retail price. Regalia will not be issued on commencement night.
Honor Cords & Hoods
Honors graduates will receive their cord at Commencement check-in. The honors designation is only for bachelor degree recipients. If you will not be attending, your cord will be mailed to you three to four weeks after May 8.
Master’s degree recipients will receive their hoods at Commencement check-in. If you will not be attending, your hood will be mailed to you three to four weeks after May 8.
Commencement Day Attire
Proper attire is required of all students participating in the ceremony. Please review and follow the guidelines below.
Attire under your gown:
- Ladies: Dress or dress slacks with a top and comfortable sandals, or low heels, for safety reasons.
- Men: Dark dress slacks, white collared shirt (tie is optional), and dress shoes.
- Wear gown appropriate to the degree being received.
- Gown length should extend to the mid-calf of the wearer.
- All alteration of gowns is prohibited (e.g. shortening the length).
- No additional decorations may be added to your gown.
- Only cords/sashes/stoles allowed are the ones given out by Chaminade University (signifying academic honors) and by the respective sanctioned honor societies.
- Student-athletes may wear the athletic stole presented to them after the conferring of academic degrees.
- Honors cords will be distributed at Commencement Check-In.
- Master’s and Doctorate hoods will be presented at Commencement Check-In.
- Outstanding student award recipients may wear their medals (these will be distributed at Commencement check-in).
- Lei may not be worn during the ceremony.
- Graduates must wear the approved Chaminade University mortarboard or tam. No other hat or head adornment may be worn (e.g. baseball cap).
- If wearing a gown in the processional, a cap must also be worn.
- Caps must be worn during the ceremony of conferring degrees.
- Caps should be worn level on the head.
- Men may remove hats at specific times as designated by the institution (e.g. prayer, national anthem, alma matter, commencement address)
- Personal décor on Chaminade University approved caps (mortarboards) is allowed within the following parameters:
- Cap decorations must not include balloons or items that may infringe upon the view of other students.
- Cap must not contain any offensive language or the perception that offensive language is being used.
- Cap must not contain any electronic lights or flashing lights.
- Décor must not hang over any part of the board.
- Décor must not dangle down from the top of the mortarboard and/or obstruct the person’s head, face, view of the person, or view of others in any way.
- Cap décor must not contain any political figures or political language promoting a personal opinion on political issues.
- If you are found in violation of these guidelines, you will be asked to replace your mortarboard with a standard-issue mortarboard which we will have readily on hand.
- Tassels must be secured to your cap prior to the procession.
You will not be allowed into the procession with inappropriate attire.
- For grades, records, and petitions, contact the Records Office at (808) 735-4722 or [email protected].
- For cap and gown, and announcements, contact Herff Jones at 1-800-837-4235 or (808) 395-1322 (local representative).
- For the ceremonies or other questions, contact (808) 739-7493 or [email protected].