The Chaminade University IRB accepts two forms of Human Subjects Training, which are required of all Principal Investigators and collaborating faculty or staff. Note that for certain types of application the IRB reserves the right to request CITI training in addition to PHRP, and to request additional training modules completed by the PI prior to proposal approval. While not all trainings are required, investigators should seek all of the trainings that they can to best inform their research and protect their subjects.
Option 1. Complete the NIH Protection of Human Subjects Research
Register, selecting your Research Discipline from the following options:
- Biomedical Research
- Behavioral Research
- Basic Research
Decline CME credit option
Complete training, and save your certificate to be emailed to the CUH IRB with your application.
Option 2. Complete CITI Training.
2. Required and Elective Training Modules.
The CITI Training is pre-programmed with different selections for courses for CUH Biomedical and Social/Behavioral/Educational Researchers.
The list of required and elective trainings that the IRB has requested of CUH Investigators is shown in Attachment A, also found on page 36 of the charter. There are two types of courses: R (required) and E (elective). Your choice of electives should focus on the type of research you are planning to engage in:
For example, a criminology researcher should take the module on working with Prisoners, and educational researchers should take the module on Working in Public and State Schools. Please contact the IRB Chair if you have question on which elective modules to take.
2.1 Registering and Enrolling for CITI.
2.1.1 Go to the CITI WEBSITE: www.citiprogram.org
2.1.2. On the CITI home page under CREATE AN ACCOUNT click “Register.”
STEP 1: ORGANIZATION AFFILIATION
- Type in “Chaminade” and then select Chaminade University of Honolulu from the drop down
- Click “Continue to Step 2.”
STEP 2: PERSONAL INFORMATION
- All sections with an asterisk (*) must be
- List your Chaminade e-mail address as your primary
- Click “Continue to Step 3.”
STEP 3: USERNAME and PASSWORD
- Create your CITI Username (4 characters minimum).
- Create a CITI password (8 characters minimum).
- Select a Security Question from the drop down menu and include a Security
- Click “Continue to Step 4.”
STEP 4: DEMOGRAPHICS
- CITI requests that gender, ethnicity, and race be provided for each learner. However, you may select “Prefer Not to Answer” for each of these.
- Click “Continue to Step 5.”
STEP 5: CEU CREDIT
- Click “no” as a response to your interest in Continuing Education Credits as this is not required by Chaminade.
- Click “yes,” “no” or “ask me later” for contact regarding participation in research
- Click “Continue to Step 6.”
STEP 6: CHAMINADE CONTACT INFO
- All sections with an asterisk (*) must be.
- Click “Continue to Step 7.”
STEP 7: COURSE ENROLLMENT
Here you will asked to designate whether you are a:
- Basic Biomedical Investigator
- Social Behavioral Educational Investigator
- Research with data or laboratory specimens investigator
- IRB Member
- Select the courses you wish to take per Attachment 1
- Click “Complete Registration.”
2.2. Course Completion
Courses selected in STEP 7 will be listed on your learner page. To begin training, click on the course you wish to take. You will see a list of the required modules. After you read the educational information provided in a module, you may be asked to complete a quiz covering that information. Complete training, and save your certificate to be emailed to the CUH IRB with your application.