Waikiki Friendly Neighbors offers basic assistance and companionship to elder adults, 60 years and older, who live in/near Waikiki. Targeting those in need, the individualized services help elders continue leading independent, fulfilled lives in their own homes. Volunteers commit to 10+ hours of service to one client on a weekly basis, in one to two-hour increments.
Examples of service include:
- friendly visits and phone calls
- help with shopping and errands*
- reading mail
- light housework
- meal preparation
*If your client needs help going to medical appointments, running errands, etc., please use public transportation (ie: bus, handi-van, taxi) to accompany him/her. You AND your client are not allowed to be passengers in each other’s vehicles.
Area for elder visits: Atkinson Dr. to Diamond Head Rd. (Ala Moana to Kaimana Beach)
This organization will give you an opportunity to build a myriad of skills. This is a very intimate opportunity to enter into the world of a senior and build a relationship. Great for students with maturity and willingness to help.
If your availability does not mesh well with your senior’s, you may have difficulty setting up your service. Patience, flexibility, and persistence as imperative. Remember that every experience, including those times when you can’t reach your senior, are opportunities for learning and critical inquiry. The time spent doing service is not structured, so it helps when volunteers take initiative and remain creative and open-minded. Although this may be challenging for some, we hope that you’ll view it as an arena for flexibility, understanding, and leadership.
Site supervisor, Ms. Ruchita Chand, will work with each applicant to find a placement.
Follow these procedures ASAP, to expedite your placement.
- After obtaining approval from your professor for placement at this site, complete the SL registration and Community Connection Form. “Waikiki Friendly Neighbors” is your Project/Site. When you meet with Ruchita, you can get it signed. Be sure to obtain a timesheet/evaluation form for SL. These are given out by the SL Office upon receipt of completed Connection Forms.
- Print and complete the organization’s application form (FN New Volunteer Application Form). You can choose to mail or email it to Waikiki Health. (See Handbook)
- Read the Friendly Neighbors Volunteer Handbook.
Contact the Elderly Services Facilitator, Ms. Ruchita Chand at firstname.lastname@example.org or (808) 926-8032. You must schedule a meeting to go through a short orientation. Follow her instructions to set up service with your assigned elder. Be prepared to share your availability, to facilitate scheduling.
To access FN New Volunteer Application Form and Friendly Neighbors Volunteer Handbook, Log into the Chaminade portal.
If you need help accessing your account, visit the client services website for instructions.