“Outstanding Graduate in Service-Learning” Award
At Chaminade’s Academic Honors Ceremony, this award is presented to the single graduating senior who best exemplifies commitment to service and civic engagement, demonstrates a depth of understanding of the connections between the classroom and the community and embodies Chaminade’s Marianist values.
To be considered for the award, the candidate must have:
- Completed 60+ hours of service-learning through Chaminade courses
- Completed approximately sixty hours of service-learning
- Performed that service in an exemplary manner as attested by the cooperating agency
- Demonstrated that the service contributed to his/her command of the subject matter
- Exhibited in the reflection process a heightened awareness and commitment to his/her role in contributing to positive change
View past recipients of the Outstanding Graduate in Service-Learning Award.
Students who do 50+ hours beyond service-learning course requirements earn a $50 prize.
To qualify, students MUST follow standard service-learning procedures:
- Register for service-learning.
- Serve at an approved site/work with an approved agency or project (service-learning course instructor and service-learning director must deem that the service is successfully “connected” to the academic material).
- Complete all course requirements related to the service (minimum number of hours, reflection, etc.).
Then, they must continue the same service commitment for at least 50 hours within that semester.
- Submit all hours verified by supervisor signature on the timesheet.
- Earn a positive evaluation by the supervisor.
Every so often, we find that students go above and beyond the requirements for service-learning for their classes, dedicating their free time and service to the community. Dr. Ronnie Mulford had the brilliant idea of recognizing these exemplary students. She graciously sponsored an award of $50 for each student who gives 50 hours above and beyond the hours required for class. All students who feel they qualify should contact the Service-Learning Office when submitting their time sheet at the end of the semester.
Mahalo to sponsor Auntie Ronnie for her generous support of our service-learning students!