- Palolo fourth and fifth graders participate each semester in the Stock Market Game. Chaminade students serve as mentors for the kids, getting to know them and encouraging them to set constructive goals. The Game is a means of facilitating this relationship-building and teaching academic concepts in a fun setting.
- For Chaminade students, please reflect: Through teaching kids about the stock market, what kinds of transferable skills are you building (in them, and in yourself)?
- For Chaminade students, please reflect: From the perspective of your course, what’s the rationale for teaching kids to do this? (Think about the applications of accounting, corporate law, ethics, decision-making, analysis, and research, etc.)
- For Chaminade students, please reflect: How can you apply math concepts to the analysis of stocks and decision making?
- Read about awards this project has earned! This term, participants have the opportunity to win medals and other prizes, from SIFMA, the national organization sponsoring this game.
Palolo Elementary School, 2106 10th Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816 (computer room in library)
Build relationships with the kids. Learn about the stock market together. Teach online research skills, ratios and fractions and other means of numerical analyses, ethics, etc. Help with expression/reflection through writing. Play the Stock Market Game together, and have fun!
You’ll be competing with your team of kids, so you should plan to attend all the sessions on time or early.
Days and Times
Sessions are roughly one-hour a week. Arrive early to prepare for each day’s curriculum. For this term, sessions will take place on Mondays, 2:15–3:30 PM.
Program will run on ONLY the following dates:
- 2/25 (kick-off)
- 3/11 (remind the kids that we won’t get to see each other during all the long break, and give them a goal for when we resume on 4/1)
- 4/29 (end-of-term party & reflections)
Professor Wayne Tanna will provide training.