- Palolo fourth and fifth graders participate each semester in the Stock Market Game. Chaminade students serve as mentors for the kids, getting to know them and encouraging them to set constructive goals. The Game is a means of facilitating this relationship-building and teaching academic concepts in a fun setting.
- For Chaminade students, please reflect:
- Through teaching kids about the stock market, what kinds of transferable skills are you building (in them, and in yourself)?
- From the perspective of your course, what’s the rationale for teaching kids to do this? (Think about the applications of accounting, corporate law, ethics, decision-making, analysis, and research, etc.)
- How can you apply math concepts to the analysis of stocks and decision making?
- Read about awards this project has earned! This term, participants have the opportunity to win medals and other prizes, from SIFMA, the national organization sponsoring this game.
Palolo Elementary School, 2106 10th Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816 (computer room in library)
Build relationships with the kids. Learn about the stock market together. Teach online research skills, ratios and fractions and other means of numerical analyses, ethics, etc. Help with expression/reflection through writing. Play the Stock Market Game together, and have fun!
You’ll be competing with your team of kids, so you should plan to attend all the sessions on time or early.
Days and Times
Sessions are roughly one-hour a week. Arrive early to prepare for each day’s curriculum. For this term, sessions will take place on Tuesdays, 2:15–3:30 PM.
- Kick-off – 10/1
- Fall break – 10/8 (no Stock Market)
- Parent-teacher conferences – 10/29 & 11/5
(Prior to these dates, check with Mrs. Clemons about adjustments to the session times. The Stock Market Game may meet earlier than usual.)
- Closing session – 11/26
Professor Wayne Tanna will provide training.