In-Class and After-School Programs
- Programs are designed to provide students with the extra help needed to succeed in school.
- Participating students are in kindergarten through fifth grade and have either solicited extra help on their own or have been asked by the faculty to attend.
- Many Palolo Elementary’s students are challenged by poverty, cultural and linguistic differences, and a lack of preparation for learning in the state educational system.
- Stock Market Game
- Incorporate more dance and musical instruments into after-school offerings.
- Meet the Hawaii state’s standards in math and reading.
2106 10th Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816
(check in at the main office for all activities)
Catch the 9S (Stop ID #3057) in front of McDonald’s (mauka side of Waialae Ave.). The bus will take you directly to Palolo Elementary School.
Visit www.thebus.org or download the free app “DaBus” for estimated time arrival.
Tutoring in various academic subjects and reading, help with homework. Volunteers may also choose to develop or help run special programs and events.
Tutoring and Instructional Support
Note: Please sign in with Mrs. Henrietta Clemons, regardless of which program you’re doing.
- In-Class Guidance/Tutoring: during school/formal instruction, provide coaching for students who need extra help. Placement is not guaranteed; your schedule must match with the teachers’ and kids’ needs.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: anytime between 8:30 AM–2:15 PM
- Wednesday: 8:30 AM–1:30 PM
- English Language Learners (ELL), Tutoring, Reading Club: after-school classroom-based skills-building for grades K-5. Literacy and math skills are the primary focus.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 2:15 PM–3:30 PM
- Wednesday: 1:30 PM–2:30 PM
- Kamaaina Kids
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 3:30–4:30 PM
Do you have a hobby or talent that you can share? (ie: Dance, Zumba, Soccer, Rugby, Softball, Art Projects) Palolo welcomes your leadership after school. Generally, you’d be leading a group of kids in weekly activity. Contact Chaminade’s Service-Learning Office to talk about your idea.
Stock Market Game
Build relationships with kids through playing this game together. You’ll be teaching online research skills, ratios and fractions, and other numerical analyses. This is a special program with separate intake, training, and schedule. Learn more about the Stock Market Game.
Throughout the year.
Opportunities available Monday through Friday, during and after school (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM) as arranged with the supervisor.
Each program above operates during specific time frames.
Holidays and Schedule Changes:
- Jan. 21: No in-school or after-school volunteers
- Feb. 7 & 8: No in-school or after-school volunteers
- Feb. 11-13: No in-school or after-school volunteers
- Feb. 18: President’s Day. No in-school or after-school volunteers
- Mar. 18 to 22: Spring Break. No in-school or after-school volunteers
- Mar. 25: No in-school or after-school volunteers
- Mar. 26: Prince Kuhio Day. No in-school or after-school volunteers
- Apr. 19: Good Friday. No in-school or after-school volunteers
- May 31 through fall; No in-school or after-school volunteers
- Sep.17: PC Day. No in-school or after-school volunteers
- Oct. 8 through 12: Fall Break- no in-school or after-school volunteers
- Oct.29 to Nov. 7: Parent-Teacher Conferences – after-school times change; meet one hour earlier than usual, if possible (consult with Mrs. Clemons about your schedule)
- Nov. 6: Election Day- no in-school or after-school volunteers
- Nov.12: Veterans’ Day – no in-school or after-school volunteers
- Nov.22 & 23: Thanksgiving – no in-school or after-school volunteers
- Dec.24 to Jan.7: Winter Break
Training is MANDATORY for new tutors.
Returning students: contact Mrs. Henrietta Clemons as soon as possible, so you may start tutoring without attending training. Call Palolo Elementary’s main office at (808) 733-4700, and ask for Mrs. Henrietta Clemons.
If you apply to tutor at Palolo Elementary, a background check may be administered by the school.
Special projects could include planning/executing workshops /educational fairs & projects, helping with outreach to parents, assessment projects.