Activities and Duties
- Individual room visits
- Activities, crafts or gardening: Palolo Chinese Home (PCH) has basic materials such as paper, scissors, glue. You can come up with craft activities on your own and bring in additional supplies to make it work. Another example: you can do a project that teaches the residents to plant a flower in a pot and take care of it. Any materials for things like this will be reimbursed by PCH if you keep your original receipts.
- Special events: If you have a special talent for singing, dancing, playing music, you are welcome to do an interactive “show” and involve the residents in that way.
- Help with resident satisfaction survey if directed to do so by the staff.
Time frames & check-in info for service
Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays: Sign in at the Senior Day Care Center
- 9–11 AM
- 2–4 PM (this is an ideal time for doing activities with the residents)
- 5:30–7 PM
Saturdays and Sundays: Sign in at the Nurses’ Station upstairs
- 9–11:00 AM.
- 2–4:00 PM (this is an ideal time for doing activities with the residents)
How to Get Started
- Register online for service-learning and print Community Connection Form. Palolo Chinese Home is your project/site.
- Bring Connection Form with you on your first day at PCH for your supervisor’s signature. We’ll give you a timesheet when you turn the signed form to into Hale Hoaloha, room 104.
- Complete Volunteer Packet for Palolo Chinese Home. Include your availability according to the shifts listed above. You don’t need a doctor’s verification of your immunizations. Just write “immunization record on file at Chaminade”
- Email the packet (from #2 above) to these three addresses: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
- Schedule your service with Valeria Matsumura via email ([email protected]). Orientation is only needed if you are participating in certain programs. This will be scheduled with you on an individual basis and will most likely take place on your first day of service.
Please be aware of the four stages of dementia; many residents are going through them at different rates. Think about the challenges this poses for their families.
Valerie A. Matsumura, Senior Day Care Program Director
Phone: (808) 748-4909
Fax: (808) 748-4916
Phone: (808) 748-4906
Azel, Administrative Assistant
Phone: (808) 748-4904