Federal Work Study (FWS) Community Service
We are looking for FWS-eligible students to work in our nationally recognized Service Learning Office under the supervision of the Service Learning Director. Other FWS positions focusing on supporting our service learning partners may also be available.
Students who do 50+ hours beyond service learning course requirements earn a $50 prize!
To qualify, students must follow standard service learning procedures:
- Register for service learning online.
- Serve at an approved site, and work with an approved agency or project (service learning course professor and service learning director must deem that the service is successfully “connected” to the academic material).
- Complete all course requirements related to the service (minimum number of hours, reflection, etc.)
- Continue the same service commitment for at least 50 hours within that semester.
- Submit all hours verified by supervisor signature on the timesheet.
- Earn a positive evaluation by the supervisor.
Mahalo to sponsor, “Auntie Ronnie” for her generous support of our service learning students!
Opportunities to Travel and Present at Service Learning Conferences
We participate in service learning conferences each year. Please contact the Service Learning Office for more information.
Contribute to International Publications
The next issue of Service News Worldwide could feature your personal service reflections, through Innovations in Civic Participation (ICP).
Student Leadership Opportunities
If you’ve done service learning for at least one semester and would like to continue, there are ways to get credit in courses by doing service learning again. Many of our service projects couldn’t exist without student leaders. Contact the Service Learning Office for more information on these opportunities.
- Leadership and/or continued commitment to service learning looks great on a resume or CV.
- Stay involved through a different course! Many different courses offer service learning at Chaminade. Even if your professors next semester don’t initially offer service learning, we may be able to work something out with one of them.
- Your project supervisor can become one of your references when you apply for jobs, if you’ve done well as a coordinator.
- You could earn up to $10/hour or work-study (depends on eligibility requirements).
Through federal work-study, you can even get paid for supporting service programs
The President Sue Wesselkamper Prize
Endowed by Charlotte and Henry Clark
Exemplary undergraduate students may be nominated for this annual award presented at the Na Liko Naauao celebration.