I-Rec (Inclusive Recreation) was developed as an opportunity for service-learning, as well as for club-based service.
Young adults living with developmental disabilities come together with Chaminade students, and opportunities for learning are created through social activities. The participants engage in service projects, make handicrafts and more.
Most I-Rec activities take place on the Chaminade campus. Our renowned artist Yukio Ozaki works with I-Rec on creative projects. I-Rec has also engaged our Environmental+Interior Design students in service-learning at another site, Crane Park. They have drafted impressive plans for the renovation of the park building, which helped to make it an accessible place for gathering.
I-Rec has two tracts: Thursday Evening I-Rec and Friday I-Rec Activities.
Thursday Evening I-Rec
Teens and young adults with special needs join with Chaminade students to talk story, share a meal and play a game at the Silversword Cafe.
- WHEN: Thursdays, 5:30–7 PM
- START DATE: August 29th, for the Fall 2019 term. Note that there is no dinner during spring break.
- WHERE: Silversword Cafe, Chaminade University
- COST: Our participants & their aides/family members pay about $8 for each meal. Chaminade students use their meal plan or pay the regular price of a dinner.
Friday I-Rec Activities
View the Friday I-Rec Activities Schedule (portal login required)
Site Supervisor/Primary Contact
Dr. Barbara Poole-Street
Mobile: (808) 358-4292
- Read I-Rec’s letter to first-timers.
- Register for service-learning and print your Connection Agreement.
- Bring Connection Agreement for a signature on your first day as a volunteer at one of the scheduled I-Rec activities.
- There is no scheduling process for shifts; volunteering is on a first-come, first-served basis.