I-Rec (Inclusive Recreation) was developed as an opportunity for service-learning, as well as for club-based service.
Young adults living with developmental disabilities come together with Chaminade students, and opportunities for learning are created through social activities. The participants engage in service projects, make handicrafts and more.
Most I-Rec activities take place on the Chaminade campus. Our renowned artist Yukio Ozaki works with I-Rec on creative projects. I-Rec has also engaged our Environmental+Interior Design students in service-learning at another site, Crane Park. They have drafted impressive plans for the renovation of the park building, which helped to make it an accessible place for gathering.
I-Rec usually offers two program tracks – Thursday evening I-Rec and Friday I-Rec Activities.
Thursday Evening I-Rec
Teens and young adults with special needs join with Chaminade students to talk story, share a meal and play a game at the Silversword Cafe.
- WHEN: Thursdays, 5:30–7 PM
- START DATE: Temporarily closed for the Fall 2020 term. See Friday activities below.
- WHERE: Silversword Cafe, Chaminade University
- COST: Our participants & their aides/family members pay about $8 for each meal. Chaminade students use their meal plan or pay the regular price of a dinner.
Friday I-Rec Activities
View the Friday I-Rec Activities Schedule (portal login required)
Sign up early for Friday activities; space is limited.
All sessions require you to arrive before 3:25 for cleaning and activity-prep. They end at 5:15, after cleaning and a constructive discussion for skills-building and reflection. Each session “counts”
as 2 hours of service.
Site Supervisor/Primary Contact
Dr. Barbara Poole-Street
Mobile: (808) 358-4292
- Read I-Rec’s letter to first-timers.
Look at the Friday Activities schedule linked above and consider your availability. Email Dr. Poole-Street to sign up for 5 specific dates. Introduce yourself and share your cell number for emergencies/last-minute updates. Sign-up before 9/7/2020. First come, first served. Note your I-Rec commitments in your calendar; you’ll be expected on those dates
- Register for service-learning and print your Connection Agreement.
- At the top of the form, fill out your project/agency info with “I-Rec.” In the section below that, print your full name as indicated, and sign & date at the bottom. You do not need Dr. Poole-Street’s (supervisor) signature if you have her email confirmation that you’ve signed up for 5 shifts. Take a photo or scan your form.
- Forward your scheduling-confirmation email from Dr. Poole Street to Service.Learning.CUH@gmail.com and attach your photo/scan of the Connection Form to this message. This is due on/before 9/8/2020.
- Once we confirm your submission is complete, we’ll email you a timesheet/eval form. Print and bring it each time you do service. Be sure to arrive early for your scheduled shifts.