You are embarking on an opportunity to learn about your course material through service that meets community needs. You will meet one or more educational goals through this service. Your course syllabus or assignment description should identify those learning outcomes.
1. Read your syllabus/assignment description and understand the following:
- What are the requirements?
- Is service-learning a mandatory part of the class?
- What type of service activity is encouraged? Are there specific community partners or sites?
- What are the “connections” that link the service and your course content?
2. Note that many service-learning sites/partners require you to attend training sessions to participate.
Some of the training
3. Chaminade’s online service-learning registration must be completed by Tuesday, September 17,
2019 for the fall day undergrad semester (or defer to your instructor’s deadline).
- If you have plans to participate in a pre-scheduled training that takes place after the due date, you should still register online, print the connection form and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the due date, indicating your site and your plans.
- You’ll find the LINK TO REGISTER BELOW; proceed to it after reading these instructions. As you complete the online portion, you will be prompted to print out the Community Connection Agreement & Student’s Assumption of Risk, Release and Waiver. This needs to be signed by the community person at the site/project, who’ll serve as your site supervisor.
- Submit your waiver to the inbox at Hale Hoaloha 104. If you’ve indicated that you need a timesheet, we’ll email you when yours is ready for pick-up.
- For an example of the form, along with notes on how to fill it out, be sure you’re logged in on the Chaminade portal when you click here.
- If you need information about possible projects/sites, please talk to your professor and check out the “Find a Project” page. The Service-Learning Office can also help.
4. Once your registration is done and you have completed any required training, you can begin doing your project.
Serve for the number of hours required by your instructor (10+ hours) OR complete your class service-learning project as directed. If your instructor requires you to use the timesheet, get it signed every time you do service.
5. At the end of your service, ask your community supervisor to fill out the backside of your timesheet – the Volunteer Site SUPERVISOR’S EVALUATION.
This is not needed if your professor is also serving as your supervisor. Give your supervisor enough time to complete and mail (or scan and e-mail) it to the Service-Learning Office (Hale Hoaloha 104) by the deadline on the form. For online/graduate courses, consult your professor for the deadline.
For an example of the timesheet/evaluation form, with notes, be sure you’re logged into the Chaminade portal and click here.
6. Complete a reflection assignment and/or participate in reflective activities. This is a key component of service-learning.
Are you ready to get started?
Special notes for online/graduate courses only:
- Consult your professor for the deadlines.
- If you are unable to drop off your Connection Form, please scan and email to the Service-Learning Office, using the email address printed on the form.
- If you are required to track your service on a timesheet/evaluation form and would like to receive it digitally, please email this request when submitting your Connection Form.