Service-learning represents all aspects of Chaminade’s Marianist mission and values. It is an opportunity to learn about your course material through service that meets community needs. You will meet one or more educational goals through this service. Your course syllabus or assignment description should identify those learning outcomes.
1. Read your syllabus/assignment description and understand the following:
- What are the requirements?
- Is service-learning a mandatory part of the class?
- What type of service activity is encouraged? Are there specific community partners or sites?
- What are the “connections” that link the service and your course content?
2. Note that many service-learning sites/partners require you to attend training sessions to participate.
Certain projects/sites offer only ONE opportunity for training/intake at the very beginning of the semester. Review the training & intake protocols for the projects/sites you’re considering, as well as the service parameters, and choose your commitment as soon as possible.
3. You must complete Chaminade’s online service-learning registration by Tuesday, September 8, 2020 for the fall day undergraduate semester (or defer to your instructor’s deadline).
- You’ll find the LINK TO REGISTER BELOW; proceed to it after reading this page of instructions in its entirety. As you complete the online portion, you will be prompted to print out the “Community Connection Agreement & Student’s Assumption of Risk, Release and Waiver.” This sheet needs to be signed by the community person at the site/project, who’ll serve as your site supervisor. In most cases, you should bring this to your first meeting with the supervisor (eg: your orientation session) to request a signature.
- Submit your completed form to the inbox at Hale Hoaloha 104 by the due date. If you’ve indicated that you need a timesheet, we’ll email you when yours is ready for pick-up. Alternatively, you can scan and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You should not begin service until this form has been submitted. Do not submit incomplete forms.
- For an example of the form, along with notes on how to fill it out, be sure you’re logged in on the Chaminade portal when you click here.
- If you need information about possible projects/sites, please talk to your professor and check out the “Find a Project” page. The Service-Learning Office can also help.
- If you have plans to participate in a pre-scheduled training that takes place after the due date, you should still register online, print the connection form and send an email to email@example.com before the due date, indicating your site and your plans.
- If you’re serving with the same project/site for more than one class, you only need one waiver (and one timesheet, if applicable). Be sure you have approval from each professor and you understand their “double-dipping” policies.
- If you’re serving at one site/project for one class and a different site/project for another class, you need a waiver for each project/site (and a timesheet for each project/site).
4. Once your registration is done and you have completed any required training, you can begin doing your project.
Serve for the number of hours required by your instructor (10+ hours) OR complete your class service-learning project as directed. If your instructor requires you to use the timesheet, get it signed every time you do service.
5. At the end of your service, ask your community supervisor to fill out the backside of your timesheet – the Volunteer Site SUPERVISOR’S EVALUATION.
This is not needed if your professor is also serving as your supervisor. Give your supervisor enough time to complete and mail (or scan and e-mail) it to the Service-Learning Office (Hale Hoaloha 104) by the deadline on the form. For online/graduate courses, consult your professor for the deadline.
For an example of the timesheet/evaluation form, with notes, be sure you’re logged into the Chaminade portal and click here.
6. Complete your reflection assignment and/or participate in reflective activities as directed by your professor. This is a key component of service-learning.
Are you ready to get started?
Special notes for online/graduate courses only:
- Consult your professor for the deadlines.
- If you are unable to drop off your Connection Form, please scan and email to the Service-Learning Office, using the email address printed on the form.
- If you are required to track your service on a timesheet/evaluation form and would like to receive it digitally, please email this request when submitting your Connection Form.