Our partners at “College for Every Student (CFES) – Brilliant Pathways” are helping to launch an e-mentoring project to connect Chaminade students with middle-school keiki at Puohala, a Hawaiian Immersion School, and Kohala, a school on the northern tip of the Big Island.
CFES will provide a virtual training session. You’ll learn mentoring skills, find out more about your mentees, and practice virtual engagement strategies.
As an e-mentor, you will. . .
- Engage with mentees synchronously or asynchronously, depending on your preference & schedule. If you choose synchronous mentoring, you’ll meet mentees online at a specified time on a regular weekly schedule. If you choose asynchronous mentoring, you can communicate with your mentees on your own time, sending messages back and forth.
- Receive a menu of virtual mentoring activities to do with your mentee/s.
- Help to inspire kids through your own experience of moving through high school to college.
- Reflect on each mentoring session or asynchronous interaction by keeping a mentoring log to track your progress.
- Learn from your mentees and watch them soar!
1. Synchronous Model
- Meet with a small group of 2-4 students twice a month over Google Meet
- Facilitate virtual activities, such as icebreakers, Essential Skills practice, college & career readiness games, social-emotional skill development and reflection
- Synchronous times available at Puohala:
- Mondays or Thursdays 12:10–1:00 (5th Graders)
- Wednesdays 12:10–1:00 (6th Graders)
- Fridays 9:45–11:00 or 12:10–1:00 (5th & 6th Graders)
2. Asynchronous Model
- Record video messages to send to your mentees
- Write letters or emails
- Use shared Google Slides to complete activities together asynchronously (activity options will be provided)
How to Get Started
- Register for Service-Learning at Chaminade:
When prompted, please print the Community Connection Agreement.
- Register for the CFES e-Mentoring Program:
- Attend the virtual training session* on Wednesday 2/17/2021 at 12:30pm. You should receive a link via email, just before the session. The CFES leaders will send an attendance list to the CUH S-L Office. Your name on this list will take the place of a “site supervisor’s signature” on your printed Community Connection Agreement. Instead, in that space, simply write “See CFES training confirmation.” Complete the rest of the form. Scan/take a photo of it and send to [email protected]
* If you cannot attend this training as scheduled, email us to explore options for a make-up session.