CareerVillage is a 501c3 nonprofit organization transforming the way young people prepare for careers. Millions of students in our world’s lowest-income communities face a daunting challenge: how to turn their educational isolation and economic disenfranchisement into excitement for bright futures and build the employability skills that put them on the path to success.
CareerVillage’s mission is to democratize access to career information and advice.
CareerVillage.org acts as a community of adults who educate, inspire, and give confidence to the young people who need it most. This is something volunteers can do without any professional experience under their belt. Many of the site’s users are high school students seeking college advice, and college students are the best group of individuals to help answer those types of questions. In addition, they might be able to answer questions based on things they have learned through their studies.
How it Works
- Students ask questions about any career or college goals on CareerVillage.org.
- Volunteers respond to questions on the site and get emailed new questions matching your set of skills and expertise.
- Volunteers answer questions all from the convenience of their smartphones or computers!
Watch a CUH student share his experience as a CareerVillage volunteer.
Over 38,000 youth are using the CareerVIllage platform from all over the world, but most are in the United States. They post 30 to 200 questions a week, with an average of around 70. For each post/question, multiple responses are highly encouraged; this offers the benefit of different perspectives.
firstname.lastname@example.org along with a scan/photo of your completed Connection Agreement. (Note: When filling out the Connection Agreement, you do NOT need a site supervisor’s signature. In that blank, write “see email.” The screenshot of your completed profile on CareerVillage will take the place of a supervisor’s signature, which is why you must send it with your form.
How to Log Service Hours
Logging your service will be a unique process involving documentation of your mentoring responses.
- First, open a new document in Word. Use this same document for all your responses. Find an appropriate question on the CareerVillage website. Copy the question into your Word document and add the date and time. Write out your response below the question. While you may research your answers, everything you post should be written in your own words, and you should mention any sources you use.
- Review your response for spelling/grammar and accuracy of information.
- Once you’re confident in your response, SEND YOUR WORD DOC to email@example.com. The SL Office will give you feedback; you may be asked to edit your post. When you receive confirmation that it’s OK to proceed, you can post it to the CareerVillage site. You can then move on to write answers to other questions, check them using Word, and post them to the website.
- Every time you sit down to work for Career Village, note your start and end times in the usual Service-Learning timesheet, as well.
- If you have questions, Career Village has very supportive staff that can help. If you have questions about the documentation, etc., feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.