Peggy Friedman is Associate Professor of Marketing at Chaminade University of Honolulu. She has an undergraduate degree in Sociology from Smith College, Northampton, MA. Her graduate work was completed at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where she received an MBA degree with a concentration in Marketing Research and a Ph.D. degree in Business Administration, concentration, Marketing. Her dissertation research considered the role of the professional health care provider from a sales interaction perspective.
Peggy has worked as a market researcher in an advertising agency and as a business consultant in what is now called Accenture (formerly Arthur Andersen and Company), specializing primarily in health care consulting. Throughout her academic career, she has maintained ties to the “real world” through consulting experiences in a variety of contexts, including education, insurance, nonprofit organizations, to name a few.
Prior to moving to Hawaii from the mainland Peggy taught at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater as well as at the Management Institute, the continuing education division of the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Business. In Hawaii, she first worked as Marketing Director at the Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center on the leeward coast of Oahu. However, she missed being in the classroom and so began teaching part-time at Hawaii Pacific University, University of Hawaii and in the MBA program at Chaminade. Peggy joined the fulltime Chaminade faculty in 2001 to revitalize the Marketing Program.
Peggy is the mother of three grown children, all of whom are currently living on the mainland. Her favorite hobbies are reading, origami and beading.
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.A., Smith College
Selected Conferences, Talks and Speaking Engagements
Conference of Nonprofit Communities of Hawaii, “Strong Ties, Stronger Community” November 9-10, 2010. Speaker, “Why is it so hard to sell Good Deeds like soap?” (With Vera Panow-Louie)
5th Annual UH Manoa Faculty Service-Learning Institute April 4, 2008. Panel participant, “You do not have to be in the social sciences to do engaged scholarship: working with financial literacy in low-income communities”
4th Annual Nonprofit Organization seminar, Chaminade University Tax Foundation September 14, 2007. Speaker, “Branding for Nonprofit Organizations”
Department of Labor and Industrial Relations/Workforce Development Division/Oahu Branch Spring 2004. Conducted marketing skills workshop.
Service to the Profession
- Future Fest presenter, Molokai High School, Careers in Marketing, February 29, 2008
- Palolo Valley Elementary School, Tutor, September 2006-2008
- Hawaii Wellness Institute, Honolulu, HI, Advisory Board, January 2005- present
- Academic Achievement Program, Chaminade University Fall 2001 Served on search committee for special federal government scholarship
- Chaminade University Fall 2001 Academic Year Serving on University writing standards committee
- University of Hawaii, undergraduate student project Fall semester 2000 Conducted an in class competition involving the development of an advertising campaign for the annual Sales and Marketing Executives awards ceremony, in conjunction with Milici and Valenti Agency
- University of Hawaii, MBA student project Academic year, 1996-l997 Oversaw the work of a class project of developing a marketing plan for the Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center
- John Wiley & Sons, Chicago, IL Academic year, 1994-1995 Reviewed new services marketing textbook by Kurtz and Clow
- Society for Nonprofit Organizations, Madison, WI January 1993-present Vice President of Board of Directors Executive Committee member Marketing consulting as requested by Executive Director
- Irwin L. Young Multipurpose Auditorium, Whitewater, WI Fall 1991-Spring 1992 Member of Marketing Subcommittee to conduct market research and plan marketing strategies for the new facility on the University of Wisconisn-Whitewater campus
- CUNA Mutual Insurance Society, Madison, WI January 1987-1990 Designed and taught a continuing education program entitled “Marketing Knowledge and Skills” to upper level managers who earned 3 continuing education units for their participation
- Conducted ongoing seminars in marketing for various levels of managers in the organization
- WAPC (Wisconsin Association for Perinatal Care), Madison, WI February 1988 Reviewed survey instrument to measure awareness of /attitude toward the organization among health care professionals
- OHMEDA, Madison, WI (medical instruments and supplies) Reviewed survey instrument in conjunction with new product research being conducted