We recommend that students meet regularly with their academic advisor and periodically with a career counselor to help with career planning. The following resources are available to all Chaminade University students and alumni.
Visit Sokanu as a resource to explore a wide variety of majors and possible career opportunities within those majors. Please note that not all majors represented are available at Chaminade University.
Student Employment at Chaminade University
On-campus employment opportunities exist within many offices on Chaminade’s campus. Some of the many areas that employ students include: academic departments, business offices, athletics, laboratories, tutoring, Help Desk, and Advising. If you are a student interested in working part-time, please visit the Chaminade employment page for more information on available positions.
For off-Campus employment, internships and volunteer opportunities, visit ACD12Twenty.
- Create a free account
- Set specific job search parameters
- Apply and submit resume and cover letter to ACD12twenty certified employers
- See upcoming career events
- Keep account as an alumni
- August 30: Students eligible for Federal Work Study funds may begin applying for on-campus and Federal Work Study jobs through ADP on the employment website (second semester freshman or above with a minimum 3.0 GPA)
- Mid-October: Fall Career Fair from 11:00am-1:30pm at Eiben Hall, Clarence T.C. Ching Conference Center
- Early March: Spring Career Fair
Protect Yourself Against Job Scams
Signs to watch out for:
- Unprofessional emails
- Companies always have their own domains so that their email address ends in the company’s name, i.e. “firstname.lastname@example.org”
- Emails ending in gmail or other common email domains are likely fraudulent
- Attempts to get your banking information
- No company will ever ask you for your bank account or credit card information, for any reason at all
- Do not deposit checks for companies or complete any other financial transactions
- Attempts to acquire other sensitive information
- Personal information concerning your home address, SSN, or anything else similarly sensitive, should not be given to anyone over email
What to do if you receive a potential scam email:
- Contact Advising and Career Development at (808) 735-4724
- Ask whether or not the possible scam email belongs to a registered employer on Chaminade’s running list
- Follow any further given instructions
- You may also be asked to report the email to email@example.com.
Note: Even if you are not sure if it is a scam email, but are suspicious that it is, please follow these guidelines.
Federal Work Study (FWS)
How do I know if I qualify for Federal Work Study funds?
If you have been awarded FWS as a part of your financial aid package, you must secure FWS positions on- or off- campus. Positions are available at some university departments on-campus and at approved non-profit and government agencies off-campus. The dollars that are awarded to you must be acquired by working in an approved on- or off-campus job.
You will be informed by Office of Financial Aid of your FWS eligibility status and amount of funds offered. If you are unsure of whether or not you are eligible, please contact Financial Aid at (808) 735-4780.
Does the money I earn go directly towards my tuition?
When you receive a paycheck with normal withholding–the money is not automatically applied toward your student account. The primary benefit of the FWS program is that the income from this type of employment is exempt from the income reported on the subsequent year’s Financial Aid Form. If you work beyond the dollars offered through FWS, the additional income will have to be reported on the subsequent Financial Aid Form.
Are FWS students guaranteed an on-campus or off-campus job?
Supervisors are free to hire any student they feel is the best fit for the job, department or organization. Some supervisors take this into account and will hire FWS students based on financial need for a job on campus, but others will hire based purely on fit, whether they are FWS eligible or not. No student is guaranteed a job just because they have Federal Work Study funding.
Are there other employment options for FWS students?
Various organizations partner with Chaminade University by hiring only FWS eligible students to work for the academic year. Each year, there are about five to ten non-profit organizations (located off campus) that will hire Chaminade students, on the terms that Chaminade is responsible for paying 100% of the students’ wages, up to the students’ allotted FWS monetary award. These jobs are found in the same section on Chaminade’s employment website.
What are the FWS benefits?
Among the many benefits of being a FWS student and receiving the tax exemption credit, you will also enjoy:
- Flexible work schedules
- Valuable work experience
- Less reliance on student loan borrowing
- Apply academic learning to real-world problems
- Explore and develop their interest in public and community service
- Explore potential career paths and develop references
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Advising and Career Developement (808) 735-4815 or firstname.lastname@example.org.