One of the joys of the field of education is there is always more to learn. More theory to consider. More cutting-edge research to apply. In our master’s of education program, you’ll join a robust community of scholars seeking to not only build on and apply new skills in their practice but gain a greater understanding of educational theory and child development.
Catholic School Leadership Program (special cohort)
In partnership with the Office of Catholic Schools of the Diocese of Honolulu, a leadership program is offered for Catholic school principals, education administrators, or teachers, aspiring to administrative roles. The program is designed to ground students in a philosophy of education rooted in the Catholic understanding of the human person and the human community. It draws from historical and contemporary Catholic and non-Catholic thought to help the student shape a coherent understanding of the vocation of Catholic schools for the Church and the wider society.
Upon completion of the Master of Education, a graduating student will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Demonstrate and analyze his/her own professional and intellectual development and its relationship to best practices in education (Reflective Practice).
- Differentiate between and critique major learning theories currently driving the field as important empirical, historical, philosophical, and conceptual studies (Theory).
- Apply research-based practice characterized by caring and mutual respect for diverse populations (Diversity).
- Design and assess learning activities that allow for the construction of meaning and promotion of self-responsibility for learning (Design).
- Critique and analyze academic literature and research methodologies (scholarship).
- Demonstrate the ability to compose academic prose for a variety of audiences including peers, professors, and the larger professional community (communication).
- Demonstrate the ability to engage in and facilitate academic and professional dialogue within a community of learners (Leadership).
Catholic School Leadership Degree Requirements
Required Core Courses
- EDUC 652 Multicultural Education and Diversity
- EDUC 701 Understanding Educational Research & Design
- EDUC 746 Financial Management for School Administrators
- EDUC 751 Foundations of Catholic Education
- EDUC 753 Catholic and Private School Law
- EDUC 754 Development for Catholic Schools
- EDUC 756 Special Topics in Leadership for Catholic Schools
- EDUC 757 Curriculum Leadership for Catholic Schools
- EDUC 790 Issues of Peace, Social Justice, & Educational Reform
- EDUC 794 Culminating Experience
Related Academic Offerings
- B.S. Early Childhood Education (Online) >>
- B.S. Early Childhood Education with Montessori Credential (Online) >>
- B.S. Elementary Education >>
- B.S. Elementary Education (Online) >>
- B.A. Elementary Education for Oceania (Online) >>
- B.S. Secondary Education (Online) >>
- B. S. Special Education (Online) >>
- Master of Arts in Teaching >>
- Master of Arts in Teaching (Online) >>
- Master of Education (Online) >>