We created our new minor in education to offer another pathway to the classroom.
With the 4 + 1 program, you’ll be able to complete the requirements of a licensure-seeking master’s degree in teaching in one year rather than two. In other words, you’ll save on tuition, start teaching sooner and enjoy the significant benefits of having an advanced degree.
Here’s how the program works:
- Major in the course of study of your choice and minor in education
- Once you graduate with your bachelor’s (4 years), enroll in the MAT
- Because of your minor coursework, you can complete the MAT in as little as one year.
Our master’s in teaching degree offers state-approved licensure programs in elementary education, secondary education (with an emphasis in Math, Science, English or Social Studies) or Special Education.
Upon completion of the Education minor, students will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of learner development, learner differences, diverse students and the learning environment to optimize learning for Elementary students.
- Adapt learning activities for individual differences and the needs of diverse learners while maintaining safe, positive, caring and inclusive learning environments.
- Analyze the history, values, commitments and ethics of the teaching profession within the school community.
- ED 221 Educational Psychology
- PSY 202 Child Development
- ED 404 Managing School Environments
- AN 340 Contemporary Peoples of Hawaii
- ED 326 Exceptional Child
- EDUC 630 History and the Profession of Education*
*must be taken during senior year
Related Course Offerings
- B.S. Early Childhood Education (Online) >>
- B.S. Early Childhood Education with Montessori Credential (Online) >>
- B.S. Elementary Education >>
- B.S. Elementary Education (Online) >>
- B.A. Elementary Education for Oceania (Online) >>
- B.S. Secondary Education (Online) >>
- B. S. Special Education (Online) >>