We created our new minor in education to offer another pathway to the classroom.
With the 4 + 1 program, you’ll be able to complete the requirements of a licensure-seeking master’s degree in teaching in one year rather than two. In other words, you’ll save on tuition, start teaching sooner and enjoy the significant benefits of having an advanced degree.
Here’s how the program works:
- Major in the course of study of your choice and minor in education
- Once you graduate with your bachelor’s (4 years), enroll in the MAT
- Because of your minor coursework, you can complete the MAT in as little as one year.
Our master’s in teaching degree offers state-approved licensure programs in elementary education, secondary education (with an emphasis in Math, Science, English or Social Studies) or Special Education.
Program Information & Resources
Upon completing the Minor in Education program, the student will demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge of how students develop and learn, including how to engage students in developmentally appropriate experiences that support learning (Developmentally Appropriate Practices)
- Skills for adapting learning activities for individual differences and the needs of diverse learners while maintaining
safe, positive, caring, and inclusive learning environments (Diversity)
- Skills in the planning and design of meaningful learning activities that support and have positive impacts on student learning based upon knowledge of subject matters, students, the community, curriculum standards, and the integration of appropriate technology (Focus on Student Learning)
- Professional dispositions, professionalism in teaching, ethical standards of conduct consistent with Marianist values
(Professional & Ethical Dispositions)
- ED 221 Educational Psychology
- PSY 202 Child Development
- ED 404 Managing School Environments
- AN 340 Contemporary Peoples of Hawaii
- ED 326 Exceptional Child
- EDUC 630 History and the Profession of Education*
*must be taken during senior year
Related Course Offerings
- B.S. Early Childhood Education (Online) >>
- B.S. Early Childhood Education with Montessori Credential (Online) >>
- B.S. Elementary Education >>
- B.S. Elementary Education (Online) >>
- B.A. Elementary Education for Oceania (Online) >>
- B.S. Secondary Education (Online) >>
- B. S. Special Education (Online) >>