The data revolution is just beginning – and it’s poised to change the world around us in fundamental ways. Businesses, the healthcare industry, government and nonprofits – to name a few – are already using data in innovative ways to improve their services and better meet the needs of clients. And data science is already one of the nation’s fastest-growing sectors.
The Data Science, Analytics and Visualization minor at Chaminade is aimed at preparing students for the data revolution that’s underway – and the future that it will create. The minor offers a strong technical foundation paired with an emphasis on helping students use data ethically and communicate it in ways that will ensure it’s impactful – and understandable. Additionally, the minor and major stress real-world experience, including internships.
Upon completion of the Data Science, Analytics & Visualization minor, students will be able to:
- Identify, describe and apply foundational mathematical and statistical concepts and operations, including the application of tools such as R, SQL and Python languages, that underlie data sourcing, management, analysis and interpretation.
- Integrate an awareness of ethical issues and collective standards to positively influence the application of data science to service, justice and peace in working towards solutions for societal problems.
- Explain, plan and execute data science tasks within multidisciplinary teams.
- DS 100 Introduction to Computation Systems and their Application
- DS 101 Data Structures, Data Analytic and the Data Lifecycle
- CS 201 Programming in R or CS 202 Programming in Python
- MA 311 Calculus III
- 12 Upper Division semester hours in Data Science selected in consultation with program advisor
Related Academic Offerings